Austin Air Healthmate Plus HEPA Air Purifiers
If you like the durability and performance of the Austin Healthmate air purifier, but you need a filter capable of tackling fumes, smoke, chemicals and gas contaminants, then the Austin Healthmate Plus is the best air purifier for you. This air purifier features a "superblend" of carbon, zeolite and potassium iodide that makes it a more powerful air cleaner.
Designed for safe, quiet, continuous operation, this superblend of activated carbon provides enhanced removal of VOCs, formaldehyde, ammonia, odors, and toxic chemical fumes. Ideal for those with chemical sensitivities, the Austin Air Healthmate Plus air purifier offers improved respiratory health for anyone by providing some of the most comprehensive air filtration available today. Extremely easy to use, the HealthMate Plus offers plug-and-go convenience and a simple to replace combination filter drum. The Healthmate Plus Jr. (200) is a smaller and less expensive alternative to the full size (400) Healthmate Plus.
*NOTE: The large particle pre-filter for all Austin Air air purifiers is the same. Just choose the correct size (full size or Jr.) and color (black or white).
- Medical-grade HEPA Filter for removal of 99.97% of particulate pollutants 0.3 microns or larger and 95% of particles 0.1 microns or larger.
- An Activated Carbon / Zeolite filter impregnated with potassium iodide removes and oxidizes VOCs, formaldehyde, ammonia, toxic chemical fumes, smoke, and odors.
- Built-in prefilter significantly extends the life of the HEPA filter.
- Plastics on many air purifiers emit gases and cause problems for the chemically sensitive. Austin Air purifiers feature solid steel construction, which means they will not off-gas chemicals, and they are sturdy and built to last for years.
- Non-toxic powder coat finish
- Specially engineered 360° Air Intake for maximum air flow
- Three to five year filter life coupled with an all-in-one filter design equals low filter replacement costs
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Long-lasting, energy efficient PSC motor
- Casters for easy moving (optional on the Healthmate Plus Jr.)
- Five-year pro-rated filter guarantee
- Effective for areas up to 750 square feet (for the Healthmate Plus) or 375 square feet (for the Healthmate Plus Jr.)
- Made in the USA
Austin Air Healthmate Plus HEPA Air Purifiers - A Closer Look
|Healthmate Plus Fan and Motor Assembly
Austin Air has manufactured the Healthmate for nearly 20 years. The simple, economical design of the unit makes it an attractive, long term value. Air is drawn through the unit with a powerful PSC motor through 15 lbs. of activated carbon / zeolite (impregnated with potassium iodide) and 60 sq. ft. of HEPA cloth. The unit only uses 100 watts of power on its highest setting, not much more than a light bulb.
|Austin Air's Construction and Engineering
Austin Air cleaners are not made of any plastic parts. Plastics off gas and cause problems for the chemically sensitive. That's why Austin Air cleaners have all steel construction. The sturdy steel construction of every Austin Air product guarantees that your air cleaner will last for years.
Austin Air's high efficiency PSC motor draws minimal current. Even on the highest setting, it will cost only a penny an hour.
|Austin Air Healthmate Plus Filter Assembly
The pre-filter will capture visible dust and hair, and the exterior should be vacuumed monthly (no disassembly required).
The built-in Permafilt pre-filter then traps medium sized particles such as pollen and mold spores. The carbon / zeolite / potassium iodide mixture and medical grade HEPA cloth combine to create a filter that is almost 4 inches thick. This greatly extends the filter life. Austin guarantees this filter on a pro-rated basis for 5 years. We recommend leaving the unit on all the time, even turning it on its highest setting when you are not in the room. With constant use, we recommend changing the filter after 3 years.
|Austin Air Healthmate Plus 3-Stage Filter
1) Permafilt Pre-filter
2) Carbon / Zeolite (Potassium Iodide) Filter
3) Surgical HEPA Cloth
With the additional large particle pre-filter, the Austin Healthmate provides 4 stages of air filtration that rivals that of any air purifier on the market.
- austin plus
The air purifier works very well on pollen. It works well on smells such as acetone, and perfumes. it doesn't completely clear them up, but works better than anything else I've tried over the years.
On low it is hard to hear it, but on high it makes a pleasing white noise that I've found helps me sleep.
I'm not looking forward to spending over $300 to replace the filter in three to five years, but I think it's going to be worth it. I have a large dog that sheds a lot so I think it will be closer to three years than five.
- Allergy and Asthma Issues
I love this healthmate air purifier for my bedroom. I have 2 German Shepherds and they are heavy shedders year round. Although, I have had dogs all my life, I have become more sensitive as I have aged. I have no more doggy odor in the house since buying this one and 2 other Austin Air Purifiers. The dust is held down and the air in the house is so fresh. No one would know I have 2 large dogs in my house, unless they saw them. These are great air purifiers. I am so happy I own three of them.
- austin air health mate
I was very skeptical but took the plunge only to be elated. I have it in my bedroom and sleep 100% better having it on all night. My granddaughter has many allergies and can now sleepover again.
- Help for MCS sufferer
My husband has MCS. Things that didn't used to bother him now do and I was at my wits end trying to keep our home scent free. He couldn't handle even the smell of my clothes when I came home from work or anywhere. The air purifier has helped tremendously and restored peace in our home.
- fantastic product
I am so happy with this product. I wake up in the morning and feel so much better. I am also beginning to notice the reduction in bird dander from my cockatoo! Worth every penny!!!
- Great product! it is working perfectly
Before we got this product, me and My wife have suffered a lot due to allergy, this product works great, my wife no longer has morning achoo, such a great improvement. it is nice too achoo allergy has a better price than Amazon.
- Wimpy Pre-Filter
I am very happy with the large main replacement filter, however, the replacement pre-filter that came with it is flimsy. We have an older unit approximately ten years old that has worked well from the beginning with no issues whatsoever. The pre-filter that came on the machine was very thick approximately 5/8" and held the shape of the square body of the air cleaner even with the fan on high. The new pre-filter is very thin 1/4" or so and extremely flimsy. When I turned the air cleaner up to high I could see the pre-filter pulling in from the body of the air cleaner which exposed air gaps around the pre-filter that allows more "stuff" to get into the main filter - this probably reduces the life of the main filter. I spoke with Austin Air and they told me the pre-filter is the right one and that the quality varies depending on the supplier not very encouraging!. To resolve the issue I had to use a continuous strip of velcro at the top, bottom, and seams of the pre-filter to hold it in place. This was an easy fix but a fix that I did not feel should have been required.
- no more painful eyes
This is the 2nd austin air i bought. This one for the bedroom, the first was the larger one for the living room. This one replaced a cheap model that yes did remove a lot of dust etc. but also the way the unit i replaced was made, it... SHOT dust particles up to the ceiling so i had to vacuum that as well as everything else one has to constantly vacuum. The Austin Air unit is I believe under 20 lbs and I was easily able to put it on my tall boy chest. NO MORE dust flying back into the room and no more finding dust stuck on the ceiling. My eyes feel much better in the morning and no more WHERE is the Kleenex..HURRY I NEED A KLEENEX!
This is an excellent product. Our employees in R&D department see the difference on the quality of work they do. This helps enhance the quality of the environment. Thank you
- Clean air
We've only had it a month, but this air purifier has helped clean out the 'basement' smell in our basement. We keep it on high, so it is a bit noisy, but worth it for clean air.
Write Your Own Review
Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier
The Austin Healthmate Plus averted a family crisis. My husband smokes cigars "outside only" and test the motors of several types of lawn equipment and marine vehicles in this same area. Though "outside", the fumes and dust from these activities are drafted into the house when doors are opened and closed.
We decided to try an air purifier in the ground level room nearest the problem area. The Austin Healthmate Plus seemed like a good choice since we were dealing with more than just particles, allergens or smoke. The Healthmate 400 was recommended for the room size we were in, and the filter type would trap not only allergens and particle pollutants but also odors, chemicals, and smoke. I also liked that black was a color choice and this unit has wheels for easy movement around the room.
We turn the machine to high whenever needed, and I do not smell the offensive odors when I walk in the door upstairs. This product handled a tough situation very well so I feel good about its effectiveness in less trying conditions.
What I like about the Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier
- Sturdy construction, the all steel housing is rugged and won't break or off-gas like plastic.
- The Superblend filter is capable of reducing a broad range of particulates, gases, smoke and chemicals from the air. Two prefilters trap large particles like lint and pet hair while 60 sq. ft. of medical grade HEPA filter media scrubs out submicron particles and allergens. And 15 lbs. of a carbon / zeolite / potassium iodide blend complete this four stage filtration by actually breaking down (oxidizing) chemicals like ammonia and formaldehyde as well as smoke and odors.
- Easy maintenance. Filters last literally years longer than other popular air purifiers and the separate prefilter needs to be replace only once per year. Aside from this, simply vacuum the outside area of the unit and let the Healthmate Plus do all the work.
- Long filter life. Most of the air purifiers you find on the market today generally call for a filter replacement every 3 - 6 months. The Superblend filter in the Austin Plus averages about 4 years of life before it needs to be replaced, substantially reducing your maintenance costs.
- You can pick from five different color choices.
- 5 year manufacturer warranty on the air purifier itself and a pro-rated 5 year warranty on the filter.
- It's American made!
What I didn't like the Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier
- The machine is loud on high. Not a problem for this application but could be in some situations. In reality, the decibel level for most air purifiers, on their respective highest settings, is rather loud. The noise the Austin makes is similar to most and generally not as loud as a box fan on high.
- No automated indicator for filter replacement. All Austin air purifiers sold by AchooAllergy.com come with a filter replacement sticker which can be applied anywhere on the air purifier. On it is the date of purchase and the interval at which the filters should be replaced.
In summary, I give the Austin Healthmate Plus 5 stars. It performs very well in a very difficult situations. Regardless of the contaminants the Healthmate Plus is capable of filtering them and providing fresh, clean air. The overall cost to maintain combined with a reasonable initial cost makes Austin air purifiers some of the most popular available today. Austin Air has a long tradition of excellence, and the Healthmate is just one example of a durable, quality product without the expense of gimmicks or gadgets.
The Healthmate Plus Jr. is the essentially the same great product as the standard Healthmate Plus, simply in a smaller package. The size is smaller though the air cleaning capacity is ideal for most bedrooms and living spaces. Though the quantities of filter media are less, the engineering behind it and filtration quality are the same. With a lower price point, the Healthmate Plus Jr. has long been a trusted alternative as an air purifier from smaller areas.
Austin Air Healthmate Plus HEPA Air Purifiers Specifications
Austin Air Healthmate Plus
Austin Air Healthmate Plus Jr.
|Recommended For:||Rooms with heavy smoke, odors, or chemicals||Rooms with heavy smoke, odors, or chemicals|
|Maximum Room Size
2 air changes per hour
|1500 sq. ft.||750 sq. ft.|
|4 air changes per hour||750 sq. ft.||375 sq. ft.|
|6 air changes per hour
|500 sq. ft.||250 sq. ft.|
|Filter Description:||Permafilt Pre-filter, Carbon / Zeolite / potassium iodide HEPA filter drum||Permafilt Pre-filter, Carbon / Zeolite / potassium iodide HEPA filter drum|
|Pre-filter:||Built-in Foam Permafilt Pre-filter & separate large particle pre-filter||Built-in Foam Permafilt Pre-filter & separate large particle pre-filter|
|HEPA Media & Size:||60 sq. ft. True Surgical Medical HEPA cloth||30 sq. ft. True Surgical Medical HEPA cloth|
|Carbon Filter:||15 lbs. granulated carbon / zeolite / potassium iodide mixture||6.5 lbs. granulated carbon / zeolite / potassium iodide mixture|
|Average Filter Life:||4+ years||4+ years|
|Air Outflow:||Directed, Top Right Side of Unit||Directed, Top Right Side of Unit|
|Filter Change Indicator Sensors:||No||No|
|Second Hand Smoke Removal:||Yes||Yes|
|Power Cord Length:||5 feet||5 feet|
|Dimensions:||23"H x 14.5" x 14.5"||16.5"H x 11" x 11"|
|Shipping Weight:||54 lbs.||23 lbs.|
|Weight:||46 lbs.||18 lbs.|
|Housing:||22 gauge steel||22 gauge steel|
|Noise Level:||High 66 dba
Medium 55 dba
Low 50 dba
|High 65 dba
Medium 60 dba
Low 49 dba
|Wheels / Casters:||Yes||Optional|
|Power Consumption:||High 115 watts
Medium 83 watts
Low 56 watts
|High 66 watts
Medium 55 watts
Low 50 watts
|CFM of Fan Speeds:||High 400 CFM
Medium 200 CFM
Low 75 CFM
|High 200 CFM
Medium 100 CFM
Low 50 CFM
|Warranty:||5 years parts and labor (mechanical) / 5 years pro-rated (filter)||5 years parts and labor (mechanical) / 5 years pro-rated (filter)|
Austin Air Healthmate Plus HEPA Air Purifiers Additional Resources
Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier Owner's Manual
How to Change the Austin Filter
Air Purifier Buying Guide
Top Five MCS Air Purifiers
Air Purifier FAQs
Austin Air Purifier FAQs
Clean Air, Pollution & Ozone