Austin Air Healthmate Plus HEPA Air Purifiers
If you like the durability and performance of the Austin Healthmate air purifier, but you need a filter capable of tackling fumes, smoke, chemicals and gas contaminants, then the Austin Healthmate Plus is the best air purifier for you. This air purifier features a "superblend" of carbon, zeolite and potassium iodide that makes it a more powerful air cleaner.
Designed for safe, quiet, continuous operation, this superblend of activated carbon provides enhanced removal of VOCs, formaldehyde, ammonia, odors, and toxic chemical fumes. Ideal for those with chemical sensitivities, the Austin Air Healthmate Plus air purifier offers improved respiratory health for anyone by providing some of the most comprehensive air filtration available today. Extremely easy to use, the HealthMate Plus offers plug-and-go convenience and a simple to replace combination filter drum. The Healthmate Plus Jr. (200) is a smaller and less expensive alternative to the full size (400) Healthmate Plus.
*NOTE: The large particle pre-filter for all Austin Air air purifiers is the same. Just choose the correct size (full size or Jr.) and color (black or white).
- Medical-grade HEPA Filter for removal of 99.97% of particulate pollutants 0.3 microns or larger and 95% of particles 0.1 microns or larger.
- An Activated Carbon / Zeolite filter impregnated with potassium iodide removes and oxidizes VOCs, formaldehyde, ammonia, toxic chemical fumes, smoke, and odors.
- Built-in prefilter significantly extends the life of the HEPA filter.
- Plastics on many air purifiers emit gases and cause problems for the chemically sensitive. Austin Air purifiers feature solid steel construction, which means they will not off-gas chemicals, and they are sturdy and built to last for years.
- Non-toxic powder coat finish
- Specially engineered 360° Air Intake for maximum air flow
- Three to five year filter life coupled with an all-in-one filter design equals low filter replacement costs
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Long-lasting, energy efficient PSC motor
- Casters for easy moving (optional on the Healthmate Plus Jr.)
- Five-year pro-rated filter guarantee
- Effective for areas up to 750 square feet (for the Healthmate Plus) or 375 square feet (for the Healthmate Plus Jr.)
- Made in the USA
Austin Air Healthmate Plus HEPA Air Purifiers - A Closer Look
|Healthmate Plus Fan and Motor Assembly
Austin Air has manufactured the Healthmate for nearly 20 years. The simple, economical design of the unit makes it an attractive, long term value. Air is drawn through the unit with a powerful PSC motor through 15 lbs. of activated carbon / zeolite (impregnated with potassium iodide) and 60 sq. ft. of HEPA cloth. The unit only uses 100 watts of power on its highest setting, not much more than a light bulb.
|Austin Air's Construction and Engineering
Austin Air cleaners are not made of any plastic parts. Plastics off gas and cause problems for the chemically sensitive. That's why Austin Air cleaners have all steel construction. The sturdy steel construction of every Austin Air product guarantees that your air cleaner will last for years.
Austin Air's high efficiency PSC motor draws minimal current. Even on the highest setting, it will cost only a penny an hour.
|Austin Air Healthmate Plus Filter Assembly
The pre-filter will capture visible dust and hair, and the exterior should be vacuumed monthly (no disassembly required).
The built-in Permafilt pre-filter then traps medium sized particles such as pollen and mold spores. The carbon / zeolite / potassium iodide mixture and medical grade HEPA cloth combine to create a filter that is almost 4 inches thick. This greatly extends the filter life. Austin guarantees this filter on a pro-rated basis for 5 years. We recommend leaving the unit on all the time, even turning it on its highest setting when you are not in the room. With constant use, we recommend changing the filter after 3 years.
|Austin Air Healthmate Plus 3-Stage Filter
1) Permafilt Pre-filter
2) Carbon / Zeolite (Potassium Iodide) Filter
3) Surgical HEPA Cloth
With the additional large particle pre-filter, the Austin Healthmate provides 4 stages of air filtration that rivals that of any air purifier on the market.
- austin plus
The air purifier works very well on pollen. It works well on smells such as acetone, and perfumes. it doesn't completely clear them up, but works better than anything else I've tried over the years.
On low it is hard to hear it, but on high it makes a pleasing white noise that I've found helps me sleep.
I'm not looking forward to spending over $300 to replace the filter in three to five years, but I think it's going to be worth it. I have a large dog that sheds a lot so I think it will be closer to three years than five.
- Allergy and Asthma Issues
- I love this healthmate air purifier for my bedroom. I have 2 German Shepherds and they are heavy shedders year round. Although, I have had dogs all my life, I have become more sensitive as I have aged. I have no more doggy odor in the house since buying this one and 2 other Austin Air Purifiers. The dust is held down and the air in the house is so fresh. No one would know I have 2 large dogs in my house, unless they saw them. These are great air purifiers. I am so happy I own three of them.
- austin air health mate
- I was very skeptical but took the plunge only to be elated. I have it in my bedroom and sleep 100% better having it on all night. My granddaughter has many allergies and can now sleepover again.
- Help for MCS sufferer
- My husband has MCS. Things that didn't used to bother him now do and I was at my wits end trying to keep our home scent free. He couldn't handle even the smell of my clothes when I came home from work or anywhere. The air purifier has helped tremendously and restored peace in our home.
- fantastic product
- I am so happy with this product. I wake up in the morning and feel so much better. I am also beginning to notice the reduction in bird dander from my cockatoo! Worth every penny!!!
- Great product! it is working perfectly
- Before we got this product, me and My wife have suffered a lot due to allergy, this product works great, my wife no longer has morning achoo, such a great improvement. it is nice too achoo allergy has a better price than Amazon.
- Wimpy Pre-Filter
- I am very happy with the large main replacement filter, however, the replacement pre-filter that came with it is flimsy. We have an older unit approximately ten years old that has worked well from the beginning with no issues whatsoever. The pre-filter that came on the machine was very thick approximately 5/8" and held the shape of the square body of the air cleaner even with the fan on high. The new pre-filter is very thin 1/4" or so and extremely flimsy. When I turned the air cleaner up to high I could see the pre-filter pulling in from the body of the air cleaner which exposed air gaps around the pre-filter that allows more "stuff" to get into the main filter - this probably reduces the life of the main filter. I spoke with Austin Air and they told me the pre-filter is the right one and that the quality varies depending on the supplier not very encouraging!. To resolve the issue I had to use a continuous strip of velcro at the top, bottom, and seams of the pre-filter to hold it in place. This was an easy fix but a fix that I did not feel should have been required.
- no more painful eyes
- This is the 2nd austin air i bought. This one for the bedroom, the first was the larger one for the living room. This one replaced a cheap model that yes did remove a lot of dust etc. but also the way the unit i replaced was made, it... SHOT dust particles up to the ceiling so i had to vacuum that as well as everything else one has to constantly vacuum. The Austin Air unit is I believe under 20 lbs and I was easily able to put it on my tall boy chest. NO MORE dust flying back into the room and no more finding dust stuck on the ceiling. My eyes feel much better in the morning and no more WHERE is the Kleenex..HURRY I NEED A KLEENEX!
- This is an excellent product. Our employees in R&D department see the difference on the quality of work they do. This helps enhance the quality of the environment. Thank you
- Clean air
- We've only had it a month, but this air purifier has helped clean out the 'basement' smell in our basement. We keep it on high, so it is a bit noisy, but worth it for clean air.
- MCS Help
- Hi, Ive had asthma since i was born, Ive grown up with extreme allergies to airborne and food allergens, but by age 14 i had basically grown out of it. last year I went through a case of black mold in my house, and since then i've been extremely sensitive to particles in the air, i couldnt sleep in my bed because of the fabric, off gassing of the house, the fabric of my couch caused problems, i tried to sleep outside in a tent but the plastic fabric of the tent made me unable to breathe. I've recently leased an apartment and the paint/other chemicals in my bedroom are giving me problems. I bought the Austin Air Healthmate Plus Jr. and its helped a good bit, but its not enough. This is more of an inquiry than a review, i think its working great, but im still having horribly debilitating problems - memory loss, chronic fatigue. my friends used to consider me a genius but now i have the locomotor abilities of a 15 year old and i can hardly calculate the transactions at the register at kroger. im at the end of my rope, im working at kroger 40 hours a week and the only place where i can get good Healing sleep is on top of the local hill here, where theres a park, but ive been arrested before for sleeping there. Is there a way to make a chamber and have my air purifier inside it? or something. Maybe theres a way to adjust the healthmate plus jr so that the air flow works better for filtering out the paint offgas.
- Great product
- No assembly, easy to use, cleans the air well. Simple as that.
- AAA Air cleaner
- This is our sixth Austin Air cleaner over many, many years. I've reviewed the others and this is still the best for us.
- Love it!
- Works well for removing scents and does a great job on removing chemicals and smoke. Necessary and helpful in a world filled with harmful chemicals and scented products. This is our third Austin Air because they work well. :
- strong unpleasant odor
- When I first turned on the machine, it had a very strong unpleasant odor of plastic and mothballs. The instructions advise to run it on high for the first hour, I assume to help get the "new" smell out of the machine. The smell was so bad we had to put it in our basement bedroom with the window open to let the smell escape. After running it on high for several hours a day the smell did not go away. Despite a window being open the smell permeated through our whole house. The smell was too unbearable so we opted to return it. I contacted customer service and they said the smell was normal. For an air purifier that is designed for those with multiple chemical sensitivities, this one missed its mark.
- Extremely Pleased
- I could not be more pleased with my Austin air HealthMate + Jr or the quick delivery time. My house smells fresher and I am sleeping much better. This air purifier rocks!
- Excellent Air Purification!
- I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and when we had to do some home renovations, I reacted. The Austin Healthmate Plus was the perfect solution! My symptoms improved immediately. I would recommend the Austin for any allergy or MCS patient!
- Great for the price, a real workhorse.
- Only had the purifier for 2 weeks - air in basement apartment feels clean and breathable fewer headaches. This is a real workhorse, but very basic functions. Don't care for the way the air blows out of the machine in one very focused direction, but perhaps it makes possible the more efficient movement of air throughout a large room. Overall very satisfied. We made a conscious economic decision to buy a more basic machine that really worked for CS and allergies, and it really seems to do the job while saving several hundred dollars on the price.
- Solid product
- Product came on time and has been working well so far. Only reason not a 5 star is the 'new car' odor we have in our bedroom from a new memory foam mattress is not being removed by the filter. Probably my fault, but product had claims of odor removing filter.
- So far so sniffles and needing kleenex
- So I have purchased an Austin Air Healthmate Plus before, but this time my family and I got the Junior. This seems to be working quite well in our bedroom as I have noticed that I am not waking up blowing my nose every morning accompanied by sneezing. This unit is rather quiet, in comparison to the full size model,well which we appreciate. The size is just right for our upper level which is about 500 sq ft. This means that we can have an almost six time air change per hour which means cleaner air for all of us.
- Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier
- This product performs well in the area I need it most. The only problem is our house is so large. Later I may buy another one for upstairs.
- Great purifier for my MCS
- I researched every purifier I could and finally decided on this one and I am so glad that I did. I ended up with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity last year from a gradual exposure to a woman's extreme use of fragrance at work. This purifier completely removes all chemicals used in the fragrances that everyone in the office uses. The unit sits in my 9 x 12 office and is so quiet I can even use it on high and still talk on the phone although the lowest level is more comfortable. It was easy to order and arrived promptly without any issues. Great air purifier!
- Love it!
- I bought this unit because I was going to remodel my house. From ripping out old carpets,putting in new carpets, the glues used in all new constuction , and the smell and chemical release of new paint. This unit helped remove them all. My painter of 20 years could not believe that all the smell that a bathroom painted with semi-gloss was gone overnite. Even when we bought new funiture that are made with glues and stains from overseas that have Formaldehydes were gone when we place the machine next to them.
- A Great Product!
- I noticed an immediate change in the air quality of the new rental in which I live. The Austin Health Mate seems to effectively remove the airborne chemicals from the my surroundings, as I am very sensitive. A Great machine so far. Thanks. Dave.B
- The Austin Air Healthmate+ was just what we needed. It has provided us with the relief we needed and in an attractive package. Thanks so much.
- Finally, I Can Breathe!
- I have Multiple Sclerosis and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, as well as allergies to dust, mold and mites. I am in my home almost all of the time. Even though I was doing everything I could to make my home safe, the air was still not good. Despite that fact that I had 4 air purifiers around the house, it wasn't until I borrowed my mom's Health Mate + that the air became so crisp and clean! Finally, I could breathe!
- It works
- I was not sure when my niece suggested the austin air healthmate was the filter to go with the price was fair and I am not stuffy in my nose in the mornings and I can breathe better I got the jr. size for myself and got my son the large one for his house,
- Feel and Sleep better
- Excellent quality and very pure air. We're very satisfied
- Health mate plus-RHL
- We've just had the new filter for about a week, but we already feel there is a difference. In addition, it in an office environment and runs so quiet we don't even know it's on.
- Breathe Easier
- I love my Austin Healthmate+, I've noticed a great improvement in my general breathing! Could be a bit quieter on high, but I'm going to be buying another one for my living room!
- Hepa Air Purifier
- I am enjoying the air filter which replaced a good Whirlpool Hepa air filter. Yours is quieter which is important because I have it at work and need to hear my boss talking to me. It seems to filter out more than the Whirlpool. I switched because your filter are going to last longer than Whirlpools. However I don't know when I will know to change them since Whirlpool had an indicator light to let me know when it was time. I also like the compact size of your filter.
- Austin Air Healthmate Jr. HM-200 Air Purifier
- works well so far. My daughter sleeps much better and awakens with less symptoms. My only dissappointment was that I was under the impression that it had wheels and does not. It would be easier to move around if it did.
- We love the difference these have made in our bedrooms. We sleep better and the snoring has stopped! These are a must have and after trying other less expensive models we finally decided to stop wasting our money and invest in quality!
- This has been just what the doctor ordered for our entire family. We all suffer from allergies and I also suffer from asthma. Since we have hooked this up not a single one of us sneezes anymore or has the sniffles! AWESOME! So good in fact we also have a Jr. in each bedroom!
- Healthmate Superblend is tops
- After replacing my master bath sink, there was a lingering chemical smell in the air from glues used....this helped so much, especially as my bathroom has an open doorway to the bedroom and I had to breathe it all night. I have now moved my towels into the new vanity and don't have a headache/irritated throat from the fumes.
- Excellent Purifier
- The air in our bedroom smells noticeably fresher and my wife's allergies are dramatically better. The low maintenance and long filter life are one of the most important reasons for choosing this unit. It's also very well made. All the high technology is in the filter itself. It also doesn't emit any ozone.
Write Your Own Review
Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier
The Austin Healthmate Plus averted a family crisis. My husband smokes cigars "outside only" and test the motors of several types of lawn equipment and marine vehicles in this same area. Though "outside", the fumes and dust from these activities are drafted into the house when doors are opened and closed.
We decided to try an air purifier in the ground level room nearest the problem area. The Austin Healthmate Plus seemed like a good choice since we were dealing with more than just particles, allergens or smoke. The Healthmate 400 was recommended for the room size we were in, and the filter type would trap not only allergens and particle pollutants but also odors, chemicals, and smoke. I also liked that black was a color choice and this unit has wheels for easy movement around the room.
We turn the machine to high whenever needed, and I do not smell the offensive odors when I walk in the door upstairs. This product handled a tough situation very well so I feel good about its effectiveness in less trying conditions.
What I like about the Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier
- Sturdy construction, the all steel housing is rugged and won't break or off-gas like plastic.
- The Superblend filter is capable of reducing a broad range of particulates, gases, smoke and chemicals from the air. Two prefilters trap large particles like lint and pet hair while 60 sq. ft. of medical grade HEPA filter media scrubs out submicron particles and allergens. And 15 lbs. of a carbon / zeolite / potassium iodide blend complete this four stage filtration by actually breaking down (oxidizing) chemicals like ammonia and formaldehyde as well as smoke and odors.
- Easy maintenance. Filters last literally years longer than other popular air purifiers and the separate prefilter needs to be replace only once per year. Aside from this, simply vacuum the outside area of the unit and let the Healthmate Plus do all the work.
- Long filter life. Most of the air purifiers you find on the market today generally call for a filter replacement every 3 - 6 months. The Superblend filter in the Austin Plus averages about 4 years of life before it needs to be replaced, substantially reducing your maintenance costs.
- You can pick from five different color choices.
- 5 year manufacturer warranty on the air purifier itself and a pro-rated 5 year warranty on the filter.
- It's American made!
What I didn't like the Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier
- The machine is loud on high. Not a problem for this application but could be in some situations. In reality, the decibel level for most air purifiers, on their respective highest settings, is rather loud. The noise the Austin makes is similar to most and generally not as loud as a box fan on high.
- No automated indicator for filter replacement. All Austin air purifiers sold by AchooAllergy.com come with a filter replacement sticker which can be applied anywhere on the air purifier. On it is the date of purchase and the interval at which the filters should be replaced.
In summary, I give the Austin Healthmate Plus 5 stars. It performs very well in a very difficult situations. Regardless of the contaminants the Healthmate Plus is capable of filtering them and providing fresh, clean air. The overall cost to maintain combined with a reasonable initial cost makes Austin air purifiers some of the most popular available today. Austin Air has a long tradition of excellence, and the Healthmate is just one example of a durable, quality product without the expense of gimmicks or gadgets.
The Healthmate Plus Jr. is the essentially the same great product as the standard Healthmate Plus, simply in a smaller package. The size is smaller though the air cleaning capacity is ideal for most bedrooms and living spaces. Though the quantities of filter media are less, the engineering behind it and filtration quality are the same. With a lower price point, the Healthmate Plus Jr. has long been a trusted alternative as an air purifier from smaller areas.
Austin Air Healthmate Plus HEPA Air Purifiers Specifications
Austin Air Healthmate Plus
Austin Air Healthmate Plus Jr.
|Recommended For:||Rooms with heavy smoke, odors, or chemicals||Rooms with heavy smoke, odors, or chemicals|
|Maximum Room Size
2 air changes per hour
|1500 sq. ft.||750 sq. ft.|
|4 air changes per hour||750 sq. ft.||375 sq. ft.|
|6 air changes per hour
|500 sq. ft.||250 sq. ft.|
|Filter Description:||Permafilt Pre-filter, Carbon / Zeolite / potassium iodide HEPA filter drum||Permafilt Pre-filter, Carbon / Zeolite / potassium iodide HEPA filter drum|
|Pre-filter:||Built-in Foam Permafilt Pre-filter & separate large particle pre-filter||Built-in Foam Permafilt Pre-filter & separate large particle pre-filter|
|HEPA Media & Size:||60 sq. ft. True Surgical Medical HEPA cloth||30 sq. ft. True Surgical Medical HEPA cloth|
|Carbon Filter:||15 lbs. granulated carbon / zeolite / potassium iodide mixture||6.5 lbs. granulated carbon / zeolite / potassium iodide mixture|
|Average Filter Life:||4+ years||4+ years|
|Air Outflow:||Directed, Top Right Side of Unit||Directed, Top Right Side of Unit|
|Filter Change Indicator Sensors:||No||No|
|Second Hand Smoke Removal:||Yes||Yes|
|Power Cord Length:||5 feet||5 feet|
|Dimensions:||23"H x 14.5" x 14.5"||16.5"H x 11" x 11"|
|Shipping Weight:||54 lbs.||23 lbs.|
|Weight:||46 lbs.||18 lbs.|
|Housing:||22 gauge steel||22 gauge steel|
|Noise Level:||High 66 dba
Medium 55 dba
Low 50 dba
|High 65 dba
Medium 60 dba
Low 49 dba
|Wheels / Casters:||Yes||Optional|
|Power Consumption:||High 115 watts
Medium 83 watts
Low 56 watts
|High 66 watts
Medium 55 watts
Low 50 watts
|CFM of Fan Speeds:||High 400 CFM
Medium 200 CFM
Low 75 CFM
|High 200 CFM
Medium 100 CFM
Low 50 CFM
|Warranty:||5 years parts and labor (mechanical) / 5 years pro-rated (filter)||5 years parts and labor (mechanical) / 5 years pro-rated (filter)|
Austin Air Healthmate Plus HEPA Air Purifiers Additional Resources
Austin Air Healthmate Plus Air Purifier Owner's Manual
How to Change the Austin Filter
Air Purifier Buying Guide
Top Five MCS Air Purifiers
Air Purifier FAQs
Austin Air Purifier FAQs
Clean Air, Pollution & Ozone