Blueair 503 HEPASilent Air Purifier
If you are looking for an attractive yet functional air purifier, this is it! Great for the removal of pollen, house dust mites, mold spores, pet dander and other common indoor allergens, the patented HEPASilent filter traps 99.97% of allergens 0.1 microns and larger, exceeding traditional HEPA filtration standards. Even with this level of filtration, the 503 is far quieter than comparable air purifiers. The unique design and components mean quiet operation as well as low power usage, so much so that it's Energy Star rated. Maintenance for the Blueair 503 is a cinch! Every six months, you simply open up the lid, lift out the old filters, and drop in the new filters. If smoke, odors or chemical vapors are a problem, optional SmokeStop filters provides additional protection and can replace your standard HEPASilent filters at any time. Clear the air in the largest rooms of your home with the Blueair 503 Air Purifier!
- Patented HEPASilent technology, exclusive to Blueair, combines mechanical filtration and electrostatic filtration for highly effective air cleaning that outperforms standard HEPA, capturing 99.97% of the tiniest particles at 0.1 micron.
- Blueair technology allows exceptionally quiet operation. The low-density filters clean large volumes of air more quietly than any other air purifier. On the lowest setting, Blueair air purifiers are about as quiet as the average desktop computer.
- Exclusive SurroundAir technology draws dirty air in from all sides and gently diffuses air through an area six times greater than the average air cleaner.
- EnergyStar rated low energy consumption saves you money on your power bill. In fact, it costs about the same to clean the air in your home as it does to power a single light bulb.
- Optional SmokeStop Filter uses nearly 4 lbs. of granulated activated carbon, specially blended with magnesium dioxide and copper oxide for enhanced removal of smoke, odors, and gases.
- All Blueair products are environmentally conscious products and offer exceptional performance without polluting the environment. Blueair replaces standard filters with safer, nontoxic polypropylene filters. In addition, Bluair air purifiers steel frames are coated with a special powder finish that produces won't chemical off gas. The polypropylene filters also resist contamination from mold, bacteria, and viruses.
- Unlike many ionizing air cleaners, Blueair Classic 503 air purifiers are CARB certified and won't produce ozone.
- Easy to Use and Maintain. Plug it in, select the speed setting, and forget it. To clean, simply wipe the steel exterior. When the filter needs to be replaced (every six months), just open the lid, lift the old filters out, and drop the new ones. No screws, no tools, and barely any time required.
- The award-winning design is sleek and stylish, and the steel housing is durable and easy to clean.
- Effective for room sizes up to 580 square feet
- 1 Year Standard Warranty, 5 Year Warranty Once Registered
- Used it
Very good! I like it.
- Dogs love it
We live on a ranch in New Mexico and our owners don't like all the dust we all bring in the house after playing outside. So we told them about your Air Purifiers and they bought the Blue Air 503. It has done a great job and we get to stay in the living room now. Thank you for a great product.
Write Your Own Review
Blueair Classic 503 Air Purifier
I could not wait to try out one of the air purifiers from Blueair. I have consistently looked for an air purifier that balances filtration and dust removal with noise level, and with Blueair models billed specifically for this, I was very interested in trying one out. After a week of using the Blueair 503, I can safely say that it completely lived up to my expectations. The first two fan speeds are virtually inaudible. The third fan speed, where I usually leave it while I sleep, is fairly quiet also - just a soothing hum in the background.
Being able to breathe fresh, clean air while I sleep makes such a difference in the quality of my rest and even in the amounts of visible dust in my bedroom. Here is a more of a "nuts and bolts" assessment of my time with the Blueair 503.
What I like about the Blueair 503
It is quiet. The first two fan settings are so quiet I can barely hear them. The highest fan setting may be a little noisy for light sleepers, but it can work as a "white noise" for others. The knob on the simply styled operation panel makes it easy to turn it from speed to speed, so it's no problem to switch it from higher to lower as you leave and enter the room, just like switching on the light.
It's effective. Whether it is a reduction in visible dust or finding yourself having fewer reactions or sleeping better through the night, the Blueair 503 is designed to remove a wide variety of indoor pollutants and allergens. Thanks to the HEPASilent filter, the Blueair does this with even the smallest allergens like cat dander! The 503 tests well in the CADR, a 375 rating across the board, and the internal design and filter structure is such that the 503 moves a great deal of air, quickly. You can get 5 air exchanges per hour in a room as large as 22'x22'.
It is economical. On the lowest fan speed, the Blueair 503 consumes about a little as 32 watts of power, far less than a standard light bulb. Even on the highest speed it is energy efficient, only consuming about 120 watts. You can run the air purifier all the time without worrying about the electric bill.
It is attractive. The neutral off-white blends in seamlessly with my walls, and the sleek contemporary curves of the design give it a little more aesthetic appeal than most air purifiers. Actually, this design won Blueair one of the most prestigious design awards in Scandinavia - the Excellent Swedish Design award. I like that Blueair designs their products to look nice as well as perform to high standards, and ultimately, many of us can't deny that even if an appliance is functional, if it looks like something from the prehistoric age of computers or too much like something you'd find in a factory or hospital, we're not going to want it in our living room.
Maintenance is very simple. You simple open the top panel, pull the three filters and drop new ones in place every six months. Other than this, while your dusting you can clean the intake vents off from time to time, and that's it!
Unlike smaller Blueair air purifiers, the 503 pulls air in through the bottom and lower two sides while pushing clean air out through the top and upper two sides. This allows for better circulation of air throughout the room.
The optional SmokeStop filter provides added protection against odor and smoke. For me, this was the ideal filter instead of the standard HEPASilent filter. The SmokeStop filter has just under four pounds of carbon and does a good job and keeping dog odors down. Plus, it still retains the particle filtration of the HEPASilent filter. This filter style is also good if you have a smoker in the house, and overall the SmokeStop broadens the filtration range for those sensitive to tobacco smoke and strong odors.
What I do not like about the Blueair 503
Unlike other air purifiers brands, the 503 (like the other Blueair models) using no gaskets to ensure an airtight seal between the filters and the housing. The filters do fit snugly in all models, so this works to alleviate this concern.
In summary, as one of the most popular Blueair air purifiers, the 503 sets high filtration standards and delivers. With easy use, low maintenance needs, and a universal appeal, this air purifier fits well into nearly any home. Low energy consumption and a 5 year warranty give added piece of mind while an optional SmokeStop filters broaden this model's appeal for pet owners and those needing to remove smoke or odors from your neighbor's cooking!
Blueair 503 HEPASilent Air Purifier Specifications
|Recommended For:||Large bedrooms, living rooms, and playrooms|
|User Profile:||Allergy and asthma sufferers|
|Maximum Room Size
4 air changes per hour:
|778 sq. ft.|
|5 air changes per hour:||623 sq. ft.|
|6 air changes per hour:||519 sq. ft.|
|Filter Description:||Non-toxic polypropylene with SmokeStop filter|
|Carbon Filter:||Optional SmokeStop Filter|
|Average Filter Life:||6 months with continuous use|
|Air Intake:||Bottom, lower right and left sides|
|Air Outflow:||Top, upper right and left sides|
|Filter Change Indicator Sensors:
|Smoke Removal:||w/ SmokeStop Filter|
|Odor Control:||w/ SmokeStop Filter|
|Formaldehyde Removal:||w/ SmokeStop Filter|
|Second Hand Smoke Removal:||w/ SmokeStop Filter|
|Ease of Filter Replacement:||Easy, with removal of top cover|
|Power Cord Length / Type:||5 feet detachable, polarized, three prong plug|
|Interface Control Type:||4 speed switch on side of unit|
|Color Options:||Putty / Off-white|
|Dimensions:||26" H x 20" W x 13" D|
|Shipping Weight:||39 lbs.|
|Noise Level:||32 - 66 dBa|
|Wheels / Casters:||Yes|
|Power Consumption:||35 - 120 watts|
|CFM of Fan Speeds:||90 - 414 CFM|
|Warranty:||1 Year Standard Warranty, 5 Year Warranty Once Registered|
|Remote Control Included:||No|
|CADR Ratings from AHAM:||Smoke 375
|Approvals:||UL, Energy Star|