• Making You Healthier and Happier Through Allergy Relief

Recently added item(s) ×

You have no items in your shopping cart.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sale!

Common Household Molds

Mold can be found nearly everywhere. This hardy organism survives both indoors and outdoors alike. Despite many of the positive things mold can provides (the original antibiotic - pencillin, a variety of delicious foods like cheese, and acts as a natural decomposition agent of organic matter), mold causes problems for many of us. All mold is not the same, and some varieties are more harmful than others. Most of us have some experience with mold, but do you know which are common household molds? Below is a short introduction to the different species of molds and where you can commonly find them.

Introduction to Common Household Molds


A large spore mold that can deposit in the nose, mouth and upper respiratory tract causing an allergic response. Indoors, it is often found in carpets, textiles,
house dust and potentially damp areas like window frames and showers. It can also be found in plant soil.

Usually found in warmer climates in areas of water damage or extreme dampness. Aspergillus species are also commonly found in house dust. Many species produce mycotoxins which may be associated with disease in humans and some animals. Also found in building materials and in fall leaves and other decomposing matter like compost piles.

The most commonly identified outdoor fungus, but it can easily enter into the house through the HVAC and other airflow entryways. Cladosporium also has an indoor species that grows on textiles, wood and other porous, damp areas. Both indoor and outdoor species are triggers for hay fever and asthma symptoms.

A very common mold known to cause allergies, hay fever and asthma. Species may be found growing on wallpaper, wallpaper glue and decaying fabrics in water-damaged buildings or homes. It is also found in carpet and in interior fiberglass duct insulation. Some species can produce mycotoxins.

Pronounced (stack-ee-BOT-ris), this is an especially toxic black mold that produces airborne toxins (mycotoxins) that can cause serious breathing difficulties, memory and hearing loss, dizziness, flu-like symptoms and bleeding in the lungs. Stachybotrys requires excessive moisture to thrive (usually running water) and is a slimy black mold. Fortunately, of all common household molds, stachybotrys is found least often in homes.

If you found this article on common household molds helpful, visit any of these resources for more in-depth information about mold, allergies, and humidity,

All About Mold
Mold FAQs
Winter Mold Allergies
Mold Allergy & Food Sensitivity
Five Tips About Mold