Miele Capricorn S5981 HEPA Vacuum Cleaner
Simply put, the Miele Capricorn is the best canister vacuum cleaner on the market. This is the top of the line, the cream of the crop, the Mercedes of vacuum cleaners. The designers at Miele pulled out all the stops and brought out all the bells and whistles when they made the Miele Capricorn. For the allergy sufferer who wants the absolute best vacuum with every luxury feature imaginable, the Miele Capricorn captures 99.99% of all household allergens. With 12 stage filtration, Miele vacuum cleaners not only clean your floors, but they also clean the air you breathe.
- The Active HEPA filter captures allergens like dust mite feces and pollen and conforms to the stringent European EN1822 filtration standard, trapping 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns.
- The Sealed System construction of the canister keeps all the dust inside, providing maximum protection for indoor air quality.
- The Generally Activated Charcoal Filter traps chemicals and odors.
- The 1200 Watt Miele Vortex Motor provides strong suction with optimal usage of power.
- Miele vacuum cleaners are tested to last a minimum of 1,000 operating hours or an average of 20 years residential use (45 minutes a week on the highest setting).
- Pre-motor filter protects the motor from debris.
- Fingertip Suction Controls with LED indicators, provides complete control of the vacuum right on the handle.
- Impressive 30 ft. operating radius with a convenient automatic cord rewind switch.
- The durable ABS plastic body is surrounded by rubber bumper guards to protect furniture, and the independent, rubber, 360° swivel wheels won't damage floors and provides unmatched maneuverability.
- State-of-the-art textured finish is scratch-resistant with a contemporary appeal.
- Exclusive rib-cage canister design allows the air to continuously circulate around the entire bag, maintaining strong airflow as the bag becomes full.
- Large Air Clean dust bag with a 4.76 quart capacity that allows for longer use.
- Constructed of 9 durable layers to prevent sharp objects from penetrating the bag, the dust bag is spring-loaded, so it closes automatically for dust-free removal and hygienic disposal.
- Dust bag change indicator light alerts you when it's time to replace the hygienic bag.
- Filter change indicator light lets you know when it's time to change the HEPA filter.
- Safety Shut-Off prevents the motor from overheating in the event that a damaging item is sucked up.
- Silence Insulation makes for extremely quiet operation. Even at the highest setting, you can still hear the phone ring!
- Deluxe Handle Assembly is ergonomic, keeping the strain off your wrist.
- Lightweight at only 13.5 pounds, making it easy to maneuver.
- The electric, telescoping wand has two space-saving park positions, making it easy to store and carry.
- Auto Shut Off whenever the vacuum is placed in a park position for convenience and energy conservation.
- Comes with the SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Brush, or Twister, with genuine horsehair bristles, ideal for gentle but thorough cleaning of tiled and wood floors; rotates 90° and is exceptionally agile. It also comes standard with either the SEB217-3 Powerbrush for low to medium pile carpet or the extra wide SEB236 Powerbrush for any carpet; select the package that's best for you.
- On-board tools include a Crevice Tool for tight spaces, a Dust Brush for delicate cleaning, and an Upholstery Tool for furniture and curtains.
- 7-Year Warranty on the motor and 1-Year Warranty on parts and labor.
Miele Capricorn S5981 HEPA Vacuum Cleaner - A Closer Look
|Miele Powerbrush Options - Choose between the Full Size Illuminated Powerbrush or the Mid Size Powerbrush|
Full Size Powerbrush
13 3/8 " wide
|SEB 236 Full Size Illuminated Powerbrush
Electrically-driven carpet tool with a 13 3/8"-wide brush roll and 5 height adjustments for a variety of carpet densities is the most popular choice when purchasing a Capricorn. This carpet tool has a swivel neck for maneuverability, an integrated, light and all-around bumper strip to protect your furniture and an automatic shut-off when in the parked position. Recommended for deep cleaning medium and thick carpeting.
Mid Size Powerbrush
10 1/2" wide
|SEB 217-3 Mid Size Powerbrush
This electrically-driven carpet tool with a 10"-wide brush roll with floating head and swivel neck design is ideal for low-pile and medium-pile carpet care. Recommended for deep cleaning and restoring of crushed carpet nap on low- to medium-pile carpets with moderate densities.
|SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Tool
A mixture of polyamide and natural hair ensures a gentle cushion for this floor brush which makes sure that tile, wood and other smooth surfaces are cleaned thoroughly with extreme care. It has a 90° rotation and is exceptionally agile at cleaning around obstacles such as table legs and in tight places.
A required component for the use of all electric powerbrushes. Versions vary depending on canister style used. Miele hoses all are crush-proof and regardless of the abuse, will always retain their original shape, and the there are no exterior wires that could get caught on furniture while cleaning. The Miele Capricorn hose gives you the ability to use nearly any floor attachment Miele offers.
The Galaxy series comes with 3 included tools all useful for cleaning upholstery, shelves, baseboards, and more.
|Deluxe Handle Assembly
The new ergonomic handle assembly makes vacuuming a breeze, keeping the strain off your wrist. This handle comes equipped with powerbrush control switch to easily turn the powerbrush off or on from the handle. This full control handle also allows you to adjust the suction level and turn the vacuum's motor off with just the push of a button.
|Air Clean Dustbags
The new Air Clean dustbag features a 9-ply construction with a spring-loaded, self-sealing collar built into the bag. Each style is color coded to prevent confusion and offer many advantages:
|Active HEPA Filter
The active HEPA filter not only captures and retains tiny, lung damaging particles (including dust mite feces and pollen), it also uses a layer of generally activated charcoal to absorb odors. The filter conforms to stringent European standards, trapping 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns. Replace after 50 hours of use or approximately 12 months.
Write Your Own Review
Miele Capricorn S5981 Vacuum Cleaners
The Miele Capricorn is quite possibly the best vacuum cleaner on the market today. Versatile enough to handle all of your cleaning needs, yet simple to operate, the Capricorn showcases all of the best qualities and features of the Miele brand. Durable and efficient, the Capricorn simultaneously cleans your floors while cleaning the air in your home. After testing the Capricorn on high and low pile carpet as well as finished concrete and hardwood flooring, I was more than pleased with the results.
What I like about the Miele Capricorn Vacuum
I break down this section into two halves. First is the performance of the Capricorn. On carpet I used the Capricorn with the SEB236 Powerbrush. This is by far Miele's most powerful carpet cleaning brush. Being an electrically powered brush, the 236 packs more punch and pulls up dog hair and dirt better than any other attachment I have tested.
When cleaning the finished concrete and hardwood, I switched to the Parquet Floor Brush (SBB-300-3). For these surfaces this simple suction tool actually worked better than the powerbrush. Though vacuums will often come with a turbine-like head, on smooth surfaces something with wide reaching, simple suction is better at picking up debris without leaving anything behind. Both tools offered excellent movement and fluid control, with the Parquet brush being best in tight spaces.
The bumper strip came in handy while testing this model. Not paying attention, I bounced the Capricorn off two desks, a trash can and a door, all without leaving a mark on them or the vacuum.
The second part of this is the accessories that come standard with the Capricorn. The Deluxe Handle of this unit offers convenient functionality. A Standby button will power the unit down if you are interrupted for a short period of time while cleaning. This function is essentially a pause button for your vacuum. The second button on the handle turns the powerbrush on and off, while the last button controls the suction power of the motor.
The simple + or - button eliminates bending over to turn a rotary dial. Also on the handle is an indicator letting you know what power level you are currently using. In addition to a Deluxe Handle, the Capricorn comes equipped with either the SEB217-3 or the SEB236. Both are excellent carpet cleaning brushes, but for thicker carpet I have to give the edge to the larger SEB236.
Active HEPA filtration is standard with this unit. This tested and certified filter combined with the sealed system, and 9-ply Air Clean bag create an Air Clean System. Simply put, unlike other vacuum cleaners, the Miele Capricorn actually cleans the floor while filter allergens, dirt and dust from the air you breathe. This model also comes standard with an Overheating Indicator Light as well as HEPA Filter Replacement Light.
In addition to these features, the Capricorn comes standard with everything that makes Miele unique. A durable ABS plastic shell, self-winding cord, self-sealing bags, rubber bumper to protect your furniture, three mini-attachments located under the hood, ultra quiet operation, smooth movement, 7 year motor warranty, retractable wand, and long life span all make the Miele vacuum well worth the expense.
What I do not like about the Miele Capricorn Vacuum
For some the Standby feature may be useful, but Miele warns not to keep the unit in Standby for too long because it may cause it to automatically shut off from overheating. I would be more likely to simply turn the unit off if interrupted while cleaning instead of using a Standby feature.
Be it that the Capricorn is the top of the line, the best of the best, the initial cost reflects this. To make this more palatable, try to consider a Miele vacuum cleaner an investment. When you spread the initial cost over the tested lifespan and factor the superior cleaning ability as well as convenience of these machines, the initial cost is less than the cost of buying cheaper brands that you will likely have to replace after only a couple years of use.
With the Capricorn, Miele pulled out all the stops and included a myriad of modern conveniences to complement superior performance. For allergy and asthma sufferers this unit will not only keep your floors free of dirt, dust, pet hair and other allergens but also clean the air in your home. From the smallest to the most intense cleaning jobs, the Miele Capricorn quietly rises above the rest in form, function and convenience.
Miele Capricorn S5981 HEPA Vacuum Cleaner Specifications
|Best for:||Any floor type (specific carpet brushes are optional)|
|Vacuum type:||Mid-size canister|
|Color:||Midnight Purple Pearl|
|Construction :||Durable ABS plastic|
|Motor:||1200 Watt Miele Vortex Motor|
|Operating Radius:||30 ft.|
|Suction Control:||Complete fingertip controls on deluxe handle|
|Handle:||Ergonomic Deluxe Handle assembly plus full fingertip controls|
|Wand:||SET220 telescopic wand|
|Bag capacity:||4.76 quart Air Clean dust bags|
|HEPA Filter:||Yes, Active HEPA Filter plus Generally Activated Charcoal Filter|
|Included Floor Tools:||Parquet Floor Brush plus either SEB217-3 Powerbrush or SEB236 Powerbrush|
|Dust Bag Change Indicator Light:
|Filter Change Indicator Light:||Yes|
|Auto Cord Rewind:||Yes|
|Silence Insulation :||Yes|
|Wand Park Feature:||Yes|
|Dimensions:||19" L x 10" W x 8"H|
|Warranty:||7 years on the motor - 1 year on parts and labor|