Miele Earth S5481 Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Have you ever wanted a vacuum cleaner that will do all the dirty work for you? The Miele Earth vacuum cleaner is the "most intelligent" vacuum in Miele's S5 series. With its AutoEco feature it automatically adjusts its suction level for optimal performance on any floor type while saving electricity. It even automatically shuts off in the park position for convenience and energy conservation. And of course it comes with an active HEPA filter in a sealed canister system. Miele vacuum cleaners not only clean your floors, but they also clean the air you breathe.
- The Active HEPA filter captures allergens like dust mite feces and pollen and conforms to the stringent European EN1822 filtration standard, trapping 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns.
- The Sealed System construction of the canister keeps all the dust inside, providing maximum protection for indoor air quality. Rubber seals and gaskets keep airflow moving in one direction through the multiple levels of filtration, to create the most hygienic vacuum on the market today.
- The Generally Activated Charcoal Filter traps chemicals and odors.
- The 1200 Watt Miele Vortex Motor provides strong suction with optimal usage of power.
- Miele vacuum cleaners are tested to last a minimum of 1,000 operating hours or an average of 20 years residential use. *
- Pre-motor filter protects the motor from debris.
- AutoEco (automatic motor control) setting for optimal performance on any floor type while saving electricity.
- Impressive 30 ft. operating radius with a convenient automatic cord rewind switch.
- The durable ABS plastic body is surrounded by rubber bumper guards to protect furniture, and the independent, rubber, 360° swivel wheels won't damage floors and provides unmatched maneuverability.
- State-of-the-art soft touch finish is scratch-resistant with a contemporary appeal.
- Exclusive rib-cage canister design allows the air to continuously circulate around the entire bag, maintaining strong airflow as the bag becomes full.
- Large Air Clean dust bag with a 4.76 quart capacity that allows for longer use.
- Constructed of 9 durable layers to prevent sharp objects from penetrating the bag, the dust bag is spring-loaded, so it closes automatically for dust-free removal and hygienic disposal.
- Dust bag change indicator light alerts you when it's time to replace the hygienic bag.
- Filter change indicator light lets you know when it's time to change the HEPA filter.
- Safety Shut-Off prevents the motor from overheating in the event that a damaging item is sucked up.
- Silence Insulation makes for extremely quiet operation. Even at the highest setting, you can still hear the phone ring!
- Lightweight at only 13.5 pounds, making it easy to maneuver.
- Deluxe Handle Assembly is ergonomic, keeping the strain off your wrist.
- The Electric, Telescoping wand has two space-saving park positions, making it easy to store and carry.
- Auto Shut Off whenever the vacuum is placed in a park position for convenience and energy conservation.
- Comes with the SBB 300-3 Parquet Floor Brush (Twister) with genuine horsehair bristles, ideal for gentle but thorough cleaning of tiled and wood floors; rotates 90° and is exceptionally agile. It also comes standard with the SEB 217-3 Powerbrush for low to medium pile carpet. This powerbrush is more than capable of tackling the toughest cleaning jobs and is perfect for edging around furniture and walls.
- On-board tools include a Crevice Tool for tight spaces, a Dust Brush for delicate cleaning, and an Upholstery Tool for furniture and curtains.
- 7 Year Warranty on the motor and 1 Year Warranty on parts and labor.
Miele Earth S5481 Canister Vacuum Cleaner - A Closer Look
Mid Size Powerbrush
10 1/2" wide
|SEB 217-3 Mid Size Powerbrush
This electrically-driven carpet tool with a 10"-wide brush roll with floating head and swivel neck design is ideal for low-pile and medium-pile carpet care. Recommended for deep cleaning and restoring of crushed carpet nap on low- to medium-pile carpets with moderate densities.
|SBB 300-3 Parquet Floor Tool (Twister)
A mixture of polyamide and natural hair ensures a gentle cushion for this floor brush which makes sure that tile, wood and other smooth surfaces are cleaned thoroughly with extreme care. It has a 90° rotation and is exceptionally agile at cleaning around obstacles such as table legs and in tight places.
A required component for the use of all electric powerbrushes. Versions vary depending on canister style used. Miele hoses all are crush-proof and regardless of the abuse, will always retain their original shape.
The Miele S5 canister vacuums each comes with 3 included tools all useful for cleaning upholstery, shelves, baseboards, and more.
|Deluxe Handle Assembly
The new ergonomic handle assembly makes vacuuming a breeze, keeping the strain off your wrist.
The HEPA filter conforms to stringent European filtrations standards (EN 1822). It actually traps 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns. The filter only needs to be replaced after 50 hours of use, or approximately 12 months. And, there is a handy spot right on the filter where you can write the date, eliminating guesswork. The HEPA filter is sealed with a rubber edge to prevent existing dust particles from escaping the filter.
|Air Clean Dustbags
The new Air Clean dustbag features a 9-ply construction with a spring-loaded, self-sealing collar built into the bag. Each style is color coded to prevent confusion and offer many advantages:
Write Your Own Review
Miele Earth S5481 Vacuum Cleaners
When it comes to electronic features and ease of use, the Earth comes out on top. This is the only Miele canister to offer the AutoEco setting for transitioning to different surfaces. In other models there is either a rotary dial or push button to adjust the speed when moving from different surfaces, but the Earth adjusts itself. In doing so it not only makes vacuuming seem less like a chore but also reduces energy by adjusting to optimal suction for any surface. I tested this model with the standard SEB-217 powerbrush and deluxe handle. After using it on a thick rug (caked with dog hair), a thinner rug and a finished concrete floor, here is what I found.
What I like about the Miele Earth Vacuum
The Earth, fitted with the SEB-217, was well suited for the task of pulling up ground in dog hair and dirt. After adjusting the different height setting on the brush, I was able to clean the medium pile rug easily. To give you a better idea about the surface, it is a 3x5 rug that my dog used as his bed. So given the amount of time he spent on it, there were short hairs all through the fabric. I have used a Dyson product to clean this same rug, but did not get near the same results as the Earth.
The SEB-217 is a very capable powerbrush. It moves and turns very smoothly, and being electric powered, this brush is stout enough to tackle the tougher cleaning jobs. Though this brush is not quite as wide as the SEB-236, it can be parked and edges very well.
This is the only canister model that comes equipped with the auto power setting. In addition to the six selectable suction settings, the automatic power setting will adjust the suction and speed of the motor depending on the flooring and mess you are cleaning.
The Earth is one of only a few Miele canisters that comes equipped with a HEPA filter change indicator. A small indicator light lets you know when you need to replace the Active HEPA filter.
The finish of the Earth is still one of the most appealing in the line of premium vacuum cleaners. While Miele switched away from the marine color, the metallic silver/blue is a brilliant finish that lends a very modern appeal to this home appliance.
With the Earth you will find the features of all of the less expensive models including, self-winding cord, large capacity (self-sealing) bag, Active HEPA filtration, deluxe ergonomic handle, adjustable wand, 7 year motor warranty, sturdy ABS plastic body, mini accessories under the hood, free and smooth movement, self-sealing bags, and a thermal shut off (and indicator light), to name a few.
What I do not like about the Miele Earth Vacuum
With the Earth you are really starting to climb in price, but Miele is a top of the line brand which produces quality products that in many circles are very much considered luxury home appliances. Though this initial cost is high, it saves you money when you factor in the much longer expected lifespan of the Miele Earth over a traditional vacuum cleaner that would likely have to be replaced every 2-3 years.
For me, the auto power (AutoEco) is not as useful as it may be for others. If you are using the SEB 217-3 and move from carpet to smooth flooring, an automatic suction adjustment is not as useful when you consider you will have to switch from the powerbrush to the Twister attachment. Regardless, the energy saving nature of this feature is something all can use.
Aside from the initial cost, all of which would be made up in the longevity of this product as well as value added features, there are few drawbacks to the Earth. The AutoEco feature is an excellent addition that some will really enjoy, while the heavier cleaning ability, more efficient power consumption and convenient controls are things that everyone can make good use of.
Miele Earth S5481 Canister Vacuum Cleaner Specifications
|Best for:||Any floor type|
|Vacuum type:||Mid-size canister|
|Color:||Steel Blue Metallic|
|Construction :||Durable ABS plastic|
|Motor:||1200 Watt Miele Vortex Motor|
|Operating Radius:||33 ft.|
|Suction Control:||AutoEco Suction Adjustment with +/- foot controls|
|Handle:||Ergonomic Deluxe Handle assembly with Powerbrush Control|
|Wand:||SET220 telescopic wand|
|Bag capacity:||4.76 quart AirClean dust bags|
|HEPA Filter:||Yes, Active HEPA Filter plus Generally Activated Charcoal Filter|
|Included Floor Tools:||Parquet Floor Brush (Twister) and SEB 217-3 Powerbrush|
|Dust Bag Change Indicator Light:
|Filter Change Indicator Light:||Yes|
|Auto Cord Rewind:||Yes|
|Silence Insulation :||Yes|
|Wand Park Feature:||Yes|
|Dimensions:||19" L x 10" W x 8"H|
|Warranty:||7 years on the motor - 1 year on parts and labor|