Miele S168 Universal Upright Vacuum Cleaner
<Best for apartments, lofts, and quick clean-up jobs, the Miele S168 Universal Upright stick vacuum cleaner works well on low pile carpets, rugs, and all types of smooth floor surfaces. As the "Swiss army knife" of vacuum cleaners, the versatile Miele S168 stick vacuum can be easily reconfigured for various cleaning jobs. You can even turn it into a handheld vacuum for specialized cleaning. The Active HEPA filters traps 99.99% of all household allergens, and the sealed system construction of the canister ensures that the allergens stay where they belong: inside the canister. Miele vacuum cleaners not only clean your floors, but they also clean the air you breathe.
- The Active HEPA filter captures allergens like dust mite feces and pollen and conforms to the stringent European EN1822 filtration standard, trapping 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns.
- The Sealed System construction of the canister keeps all the dust inside, providing maximum protection for indoor air quality.
- The vacuum may be small, but the powerful 1000 Watt motor provides strong suction with optimal usage of power.
- Miele vacuum cleaners are tested to last a minimum of 1,000 operating hours or an average of 20 years residential use.*
- Versatile & easily configurable; with the simple press of a clip, you can move the wand below the canister to clean under furniture. Or remove the wand altogether to create a handheld vac!
- Direct Connect Option for electric power brush.
- Ergonomic handle for your comfort.
- Telescopic wand is adjustable for your convenience.
- Electronic Power Control allows you to adjust the suction.
- Impressive 26 ft. operating radius.
- Durable, scratch resistant, ABS plastic body.
- Intensive Clean dust bag with a 2.6 quart capacity.
- The layer of impact foil in the bag prevents sharp objects from penetrating the bag, and the dust bag closes automatically for dust-free removal and hygienic disposal.
- Dust bag change indicator light alerts you when it's time to replace the hygienic bag.
- Quiet Operation - Even at the highest setting, you can still hear the phone ring!
- Lightweight & easy to maneuver at only 10.5 pounds
- Comes with the universal SBD 245 Combination Rug / Smooth Floor Tool for smooth flooring and low pile carpeting and has a socket for an optional Powerbrush, Turbobrush, or Parquet Floor Tool.
- Go from smooth floors to carpet with the quick click of a rocker switch.
- 7 Year Warranty on the motor and 1 Year Warranty on parts and labor.
Miele S168 Universal Upright Vacuum Cleaner - A Closer Look
|Combination Rug & Floor Tool
This versatile straight suction, multi-surface floor tool adapts from smooth floors to carpeted surfaces with a simple click of a rocker switch.
It is recommended for cleaning low or medium carpeting, regardless of type or density as well as all smooth surfaces.
Additional Included Accessories
|Active HEPA Filter
The active HEPA filter not only captures and retains tiny, lung damaging particles (including dust mite feces and pollen), it also uses a charcoal filter to absorb odors. The filter conforms to stringent European standards, trapping 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns. Replace after 50 hours of use or approximately 12 months. There is a convenient spot to write the date on the filter.
Write Your Own Review
Miele Universal Upright S168 Vacuum Cleaners
With the S168, Miele continues its tradition of quality products that last. Lighter than canisters or traditional uprights, this stick model offers HEPA filtration and better suction than comparable models. The S168 comes in a stainless and Lotus White finish and can be configured in a multitude of ways, giving you several options in comfort and functionality. Though a direct comparison to Miele's canister vacuums would not be useful since they are two completely different types, it is best to compare how the S168 stacks up to the other Miele stick, the S163.
What I like about the S168
The S168 is a decided upgrade over the S163 model in many regards. First, the S168 comes standard with an Active HEPA filter. This is particularly useful in that it traps many of the smallest particles that commonly pass through traditional vacuum filters and irritate allergy and asthma sufferers.
Unlike the S163, the S168 is able to utilize powerbrush attachments. I paired the S168 with a SEB217-3 powerbrush and had a much easier time cleaning the medium pile test carpet. Because of this capability, I give a decided edge to the S168. For more intensive jobs you would be better suited opting for a canister, but of the sticks, the S168 is best on carpet.
The third major difference between Miele's two stick models is the wand. The S168 comes equipped with a telescopic wand, once again adding to the versatility of this model.
Color is the last distinguishing feature between these two models. The S168 is Lotus White, while the S163 is a glossy black.
Both units are well constructed, durable, and come equipped with two mini attachments. The S168 is easy to take apart and reassemble to the configuration that best meets your cleaning needs.
What I do not like about the S168
As would be case with nearly all stick vacuums, the Miele has a relatively small bag capacity. Be it that they are best suited for smaller areas; this should not pose that great of an issue.
Despite a standard HEPA filter, the S168 does not come equipped with a filter change indicator. Like most Miele products, changing the HEPA filter annually is the best rule to follow.
I took some issue with the design of the compartment cover. For some reason the specific vacuum I tested gave me fits while trying to properly close it. Since I tried two others of the same model with no problem, I think the bag was possibly getting in the way.
In general, the S168 is a great vacuum for allergy and asthma sufferers needing HEPA filtration for smaller areas. The S168 can be configured in several different ways, making it ideal for apartments, dorm rooms, lofts, and even tight spaces like an RV or cleaning the interior of your car. It works well on low to medium pile carpet and is excellent on hard surfaces. Miele's S168 is an exceptional value provided you do not expect it to do more than for what it was designed to do.
Miele S168 Universal Upright Vacuum Cleaner Specifications
|Best for:||Smooth floors and low pile carpets|
|Vacuum type:||Universal upright stick|
|Construction :||Durable ABS plastic|
|Motor:||1000 Watt motor|
|Operating Radius:||26 ft.|
|Bag capacity:||2.6 quart Intensive Clean Plus dust bags|
|Included Floor Tools:||Combination rug and smooth floor tool|
|Direct Connect for Power Brush:||Yes|
|Dust Bag Change Indicator Light:
|Filter Change Indicator Light:||No|
|Auto Cord Rewind:||No|
|Safety Shut-off :||No|
|Dimensions:||50" H x 6" W x 6" L|
|Warranty:||7 years on the motor - 1 years on parts and labor|