Miele Libra S5281 Canister Vacuum Cleaner
The Miele Libra vacuum cleaner is the most recent addition to Miele's line of S5 canister vacuums. With this new addition not only comes a new color and mid level price point but also the new AirClean system by Miele. Miele's sealed system, certified HEPA filter and 9 layer AirClean bag works together to create the cleanest vacuums available today. With the workhorse 1200W motor and easy to use controls the Miele is tough enough to tackle your worst cleaning jobs with ease. The two floor attachments make this canister vacuum cleaner ideal for not only smooth floors but also wall to wall carpet.
- The certified Active HEPA filter captures allergens like dust mite feces and pollen and conforms to the stringent European EN1822 filtration standard, trapping 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns.
- The Sealed System construction of the canister keeps all the dust inside, providing maximum protection for indoor air quality.
- The layer of Generally Activated Charcoal traps chemicals and odors.
- The 1200 Watt Miele Vortex Motor provides strong suction with optimal usage of power.
- Surge protected motor to protect against power surges.
- Miele vacuum cleaners are tested to last an average of 20 years residential use (45 Min. per week at highest setting).
- Pre-motor filter protects the motor from debris.
- Rotary Dial Suction Control lets you choose from six levels of power.
- Impressive 30 ft. operating radius with a convenient automatic cord rewind switch.
- The durable ABS plastic body is surrounded by rubber bumper guards to protect furniture, and the independent, rubber, 360& swivel wheels won't damage floors and provides unmatched maneuverability.
- State-of-the-art textured finish is scratch-resistant with a contemporary appeal.
- Exclusive rib-cage canister design allows the air to continuously circulate around the entire bag, maintaining strong airflow as the bag becomes full.
- Large AirClean dust bag with a 4.76 quart capacity that allows for longer use.
- Constructed of 9 durable layers to prevent sharp objects from penetrating the bag, the dust bag is spring-loaded, so it closes automatically for dust-free removal and hygienic disposal.
- Dust bag change indicator light alerts you when it's time to replace the hygienic bag.
- Safety Shut-Off prevents the motor from overheating in the event that a damaging item is sucked up.
- Silence Insulation makes for extremely quiet operation. Even at the highest setting, you can still hear the phone ring!
- Deluxe Handle Assembly is ergonomic, keeping the strain off your wrist.
- Lightweight at only 13.5 pounds, making it easy to use.
- The SES119 Electric Hose is crush-proof and extremely durable.
- The stainless Electric, Telescoping wand has two space-saving park positions, making it easy to store and carry.
- Comes with electrically-driven SEB 217-3 Powerbrush ideal for deep cleaning of carpets, as well as the SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Brush with genuine horsehair bristles, ideal for gentle but thorough cleaning of tiled and wood floors; rotates 90& and is exceptionally agile.
- On-board tools include a Crevice Tool for tight spaces, a Dust Brush for delicate cleaning, and an Upholstery Tool for furniture and curtains.
- The Direct Connect system with no exterior wires makes it easy to change the electrical brushes.
- 7-Year Warranty on the motor and 1-Year Warranty on parts and labor.
Miele Libra S5281 Canister Vacuum Cleaner - A Closer Look
|SEB 217-3 Mid Size Powerbrush
This electrically-driven carpet tool with a 10.5" wide brush roll with floating head and swivel neck design is ideal for low-pile and medium-pile carpet care. Recommended for deep cleaning and restoring of crushed carpet nap on medium pile carpets with moderate densities.
|SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Tool
A mixture of polyamide and natural hair ensures a gentle cushion for this floor brush which makes sure that tile, wood and other smooth surfaces are cleaned thoroughly with extreme care. It has a 90° rotation and is exceptionally agile at cleaning around obstacles such as table legs and in tight places.
A required component for the use of all electric powerbrushes. Versions vary depending on canister style used. Miele hoses all are crush-proof and regardless of the abuse, will always retain their original shape.
|Deluxe Handle Assembly
The new ergonomic handle assembly makes vacuuming a breeze, keeping the strain off your wrist. This handle comes equipped with powerbrush control switch to easily turn the powerbrush off or on from the handle.
The HEPA filter conforms to stringent European filtrations standards (EN 1822). It actually traps 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns. The filter only needs to be replaced after 50 hours of use, or approximately 12 months. And, there is a handy spot right on the filter where you can write the date, eliminating guesswork. The HEPA filter is sealed with a rubber edge, to prevent existing dust particles from escaping the filter.
The new AirClean dustbag features a 9-ply construction with a spring-loaded, self-sealing collar built into the bag. Each style is color coded to prevent confusion and offer many advantages:
Write Your Own Review
Miele Libra S5281 Vacuum Cleaners
As a middle of the road Miele S5 canister vacuum cleaner, the new Miele Libra has all of the great features that have made these Miele HEPA vacuum cleaners so popular. Durable yet attractive, convenient and quiet, the Miele Libra features the new AirClean system by Miele. With the introduction of a new AirClean bag in addition to the signature sealed system and certified HEPA filter, Miele has created the cleanest vacuum cleaner available today.
The Libra uses multiple layers of filtration to capture dust, dirt, allergens and submicron particles that commonly contaminate modern homes. This new emphasis on air quality has led Miele to push the boundaries of what it means to not only clean your home but the air you breathe. With a sample model, we put the Miele Libra S5281 vacuum cleaner through it's paces and were pleased with the results.
What I like about the Miele Libra vacuum cleaner
While Miele bringing back the Mango Red color was a welcome sight, what sets the Libra apart is the filtration. Stepping up from the Intensive Clean and moving beyond the HyClean bags, Miele is pushing forward with an AirClean design that places greater emphasis on not only eliminating air pollution created by traditional vacuum cleaners but actually cleaning the air inside your home as well.
Air enters the vacuum and immediately passes through the 9 ply AirClean dust bag. This new design eliminates the baffle and allows for greater expansion of the bag and increased air flow. What particles that may pass through the bag are next filtered by the motor prefilter and finally collected by the certified HEPA filter. This filter captures 99.99% of all particles 0.3 microns or larger. A layer of generally activated charcoal works to trap odors, and the traditional sealed system ensures that no dirty air escapes or mixes with air that is being filtered as you clean.
The SEB 217-3 has traditionally been a great tool on carpet, particularly when paired with Miele's 1200W vortex motor. The Miele Libra is no different in this respect. The Vortex motor creates more than enough suction to pull up pet hair and ground in dirt from medium pile carpet and rugs. This powerbrush also edges better than expected and was up to the task of cleaning the carpets and rugs in my home.
For many of these tests, I prefer to use them in my home for two reasons. First, in a house with two adults and three dogs, who shed as if they live three feet from the sun, pet hair, tracked in dirt, mud, pollen and other allergens is a given. Secondly, I get clean carpet and rugs. On smooth floors, the Twister tool is king. The suction is great enough that it will pull in hair and debris without actually having to pass over it in many instances. So in regards to cleaning on any flooring and suction, the Miele Libra passes with flying colors.
The handle fits well in your hand and isn't clunky or heavy like with many comparable vacuum cleaners. Assembly is easy, and the Libra retains the little value added features that have made Miele and the Miele S5 vacuum cleaners so popular. An auto rewinding cord, durable ABS shell with bumper strips to prevent damage, swiveling casters that make the Libra one of the easiest vacuums to tote along as you clean, adjustable suction for dusting and cleaning drapes, three mini attachments that come in handy for those hard to reach spaces, and self sealing dust bags that prevent allergens from escaping all add value and convenience to this canister vacuum cleaner.
Though powerful, the motor is not, by any stretch, loud. People are generally extremely surprised by how quiet this vacuum operates considering the suction it creates. The parking slots also make storing the Libra much neater and easier than other canister vacuum cleaners that generally get pushed into a heap in the nearest closet.
Lastly, as with all Miele vacuum cleaners, the Libra comes with a 7 year warranty, one of the longest of any vacuum cleaner. The Miele name has long been associated with long lasting, durable home appliances, and the Miele vacuum cleaners are no exception. While testing I literally try to break these models. Don't get me wrong, a claw hammer or drop kicking a Miele off of the fifth floor of your apartment complex will do a number on a Miele, but bumping, banging and even dropping does little to these machines. I've tried on nearly every model tested to twist and break the hose, and no matter how much I twist and bend it, I have yet to damage one.
What I do not like about the Miele Libra vacuum cleaner
There is really not much I can fault the Miele Libra for. For the price, you get a well crafted machine. Electronic controls over the Libra's rotary dial would be nice. As would having the larger SEB-236 powerbrush for thick carpet, but that would also push up the price.
With the Miele Libra you get one of the best all around vacuum cleaners available at a reasonable price. Granted, for most people, the initial cost seems high, but once you factor in what you pay to purchase a new, cheap vacuum every two years, the Miele pays for itself. The features on the Libra are second only to higher end Miele vacuums, and the performance is unmatched. And for those who are concerned with indoor air quality the Miele Libra is an ideal fit in that it showcases Miele's commitment to not only cleaning your home but the also the air inside of it.
Miele Libra S5281 Canister Vacuum Cleaner Specifications
|Best for:||Any floor type|
|Vacuum type:||Mid-size canister|
|Construction :||Durable ABS plastic|
|Motor:||1200 Watt Miele Vortex Motor|
|Operating Radius:||33 ft.|
|Suction Control:||Rotary dial on canister|
|Handle:||Ergonomic deluxe handle assembly with Powerbrush Control|
|Wand:||SET220 telescopic wand|
|Bag type:||G/N AirClean Dustbag|
|Bag capacity:||4.76 quart|
|HEPA Filter:||Yes, Active HEPA Filter with Generally Activated Charcoal|
|Included Floor Tools:||Powerbrush for carpets & Parquet Floor Brush for smooth floors|
|Dust Bag Change Indicator:
|Filter Change Indicator:||No|
|Auto Cord Rewind:||Yes|
|Wand Park Feature:||Yes|
|Dimensions:||19" L x 10" W x 8.25"H|
|Warranty:||7 years on the motor - 1 year on parts and labor|