Family: Teen Daughter Died from Allergic Reaction to Toothpaste


Does Aquafresh Mild & Minty contain lethal allergens?Daily Mail reports that Francesca Sanna, 19, died after having what appears to have been an extreme allergic reaction to her toothpaste.

The toothpaste was Aquafresh Mild & Minty, according to her family.

The coroner concluded that Francesca died of an acute anaphlyactic reaction. She brushed her teeth minutes before her death and had been complaining of sore gums in the days before her death.

Pathologist Dr. Richard Prescott says, ‘People have suffered severe reactions in the past from toothpaste, mouthwash or even tampons.’

A spokesman for GlaxoSmithKline, the manufacturer of Aquafresh, says, ‘Although we have not yet had an opportunity to see the coroner's report, we understand that no conclusion was made as to the cause of the anaphylactic shock. We receive less than a handful of complaints of allergic reaction to Aquafresh Mild and Minty each year, all of which have been of a mild and localised nature.’

According to, many kids who have multiple food allergies have problems finding a safe toothpaste.

Francesca suffered from asthma and severe allergies her whole life.

See the Food Allergy / Anaphlyaxis Solution Guide for more information about food allergies.

3 thoughts on “Family: Teen Daughter Died from Allergic Reaction to Toothpaste

  1. Alex February 4, 2008 / 7:41 am

    The point that strikes me here is not that a standard chemical” toothpaste can trigger anaphylactic shock but the statement “Francesca suffered from asthma and severe allergies her whole life.” What a depressing comment about her family doctor and about Natural Medicine Practitioners who could probably have helped here but have no clue about communication to the public about what they do.

    I'd better stop I feel a rant coming on.

  2. Anonymous February 4, 2008 / 7:56 am

    Hi Alex,

    Just curious – what kind of toothpaste do you use?

  3. Alex February 4, 2008 / 8:13 am

    I guess I had that coming! It's called AloeDent” and without being an Industrial Chemist it looks reasonable. It does have Sodium Lauryl Sarcosinate ( rather than the usual Sulphate).
    It also has Tea Tree Oil, I think some people react to that. I seem not to!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>