Daily Mail reports that Francesca Sanna, 19, died after having what appears to have been an extreme allergic reaction to her toothpaste.
The toothpaste was Aquafresh Mild & Minty, according to her family.
The coroner concluded that Francesca died of an acute anaphlyactic reaction. She brushed her teeth minutes before her death and had been complaining of sore gums in the days before her death.
Pathologist Dr. Richard Prescott says, ‘People have suffered severe reactions in the past from toothpaste, mouthwash or even tampons.’
A spokesman for GlaxoSmithKline, the manufacturer of Aquafresh, says, ‘Although we have not yet had an opportunity to see the coroner's report, we understand that no conclusion was made as to the cause of the anaphylactic shock. We receive less than a handful of complaints of allergic reaction to Aquafresh Mild and Minty each year, all of which have been of a mild and localised nature.’
According to allergymoms.com, many kids who have multiple food allergies have problems finding a safe toothpaste.
Francesca suffered from asthma and severe allergies her whole life.
See the Food Allergy / Anaphlyaxis Solution Guide for more information about food allergies.