Kids’ Insect Stings Go Untreated Too Often

Reddit

MedlinePlus points out a new study which found that only 14% of children who have moderate to severe allergic reactions are taken to the hospital for proper treatment. Moderate to severe allergic reactions to insect stings may include hives, breathing problems, abdominal pain, and loss of consciousness. If your child exhibits any of these symptoms within an hour of an insect sting, he or she should be taken to the hospital immediately. Death from an insect sting almost always occurs within the first hour. Between 40 and 100 Americans die each year from anaphylaxis (a severe allergic reaction) due to insect stings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>