Advantages of Whole House Dehumidifiers:
Disadvantages of Whole House Dehumidifiers:
- Ability to automatically control humidity throughout your home
- Located out of sight and sound level is lower
- Up to 4 times more energy efficient
- Hassle-free maintenance
Advantages of Portable Room Dehumidifiers:
- More expensive on initial purchase
- More complicated to setup and install
- More difficult to take with you if you move
Disadvantages of Portable Room Dehumidifiers:
- Less expensive
- Ability to control humidity in one large, continuous area
- Easier and more quickly to install and begin operating
One of our staff members says that tackling a large home humidity
problem with a portable room dehumidifier is the same as taking a knife to a gun fight.
You might be choosing the wrong weapon to fight your battle against moisture in the home.
- Shorter useful lifespan
- Louder operation/Operate in plain sight
- Unsightly in plain view
- Only able to control humidity in one continuous area
- Requires more frequent cleaning and maintenance
- Have to empty collected condensate or port
- Less energy efficient
Proponents of whole house dehumidifiers argue that the only way to effectively control the humidity in your entire home is to
use a whole house dehumidifier. They argue that portable dehumidifiers only offer temporary relief and only in one room.
We are seeing a shift in trends with our customers. Many of them are tired of buying portable dehumidifiers over and
over again every year or every few years and are instead opting to get a larger dehumidifier that is better suited to the task.
In summary, when choosing the best dehumidifier for your needs, first determine the area that you need to
control the humidity in. If it is a larger area, a whole house dehumidifier may be better suited to your needs.
If your excess humidity problem is seasonal, limited to one or two rooms or only in a smaller area, a portable dehumidifier may be the best,
and most economical option.