Miele Callisto S5280 Canister Vacuum Cleaner
The lightweight, sleek Miele Callisto vacuum cleaner may not make cleaning fun, but it definitely makes cleaning easier and more effective, especially if you have allergies. The sealed system and HEPA filter make the Miele Callisto ideal for allergy sufferers. Plus, the new Miele Air Clean dust bags automatically seal themselves when they are removed, so you never have to worry about exposing yourself to dust or other allergens. Miele vacuum cleaners not only clean your floors, but they also clean the air you breathe.
- The Active HEPA filter captures allergens like dust mite feces and pollen and conforms to the stringent European EN1822 filtration standard, trapping 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns.
- The Sealed System construction of the canister keeps all the dust inside, providing maximum protection for indoor air quality.
- A layer of Generally Activated Charcoal traps chemicals and odors.
- The 1200 Watt Miele Vortex Motor provides strong suction with optimal usage of power.
- Surge protected motor to protect against power surges.
- Miele vacuum cleaners are tested to last a minimum of 1,000 operating hours or an average of 20 years residential use. *
- Pre-motor filter protects the motor from debris.
- Rotary Dial Suction Control lets you choose from six levels of power.
- Impressive 30 ft. operating radius with a convenient automatic cord rewind switch.
- The durable ABS plastic body is surrounded by rubber bumper guards to protect furniture, and the independent, rubber, 360° swivel wheels won't damage floors and provides unmatched maneuverability.
- State-of-the-art textured finish is scratch-resistant with a contemporary appeal.
- Exclusive rib-cage canister design allows the air to continuously circulate around the entire bag, maintaining strong airflow as the bag becomes full.
- Large Air Clean dust bag with a 4.76 quart capacity that allows for longer use.
- Constructed of 9 durable layers to prevent sharp objects from penetrating the bag, the dust bag is spring-loaded, so it closes automatically for dust-free removal and hygienic disposal.
- Dust bag change indicator light alerts you when it's time to replace the hygienic bag.
- Safety Shut-Off prevents the motor from overheating in the event that a damaging item is sucked up.
- Silence Insulation makes for extremely quiet operation. Even at the highest setting, you can still hear the phone ring!
- Deluxe Handle Assembly is ergonomic, keeping the strain off your wrist.
- Lightweight at only 13.5 pounds, making it easy to use.
- The SES119 Electric Hose is crush-proof.
- The Electric, Telescoping wand has two space-saving park positions, making it easy to store and carry.
- Comes with electrically-driven SEB228 Powerbrush with a wide 14" brush roll for deep cleaning of carpets, as well as the SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Brush with genuine horsehair bristles, ideal for gentle but thorough cleaning of tiled and wood floors; rotates 90° and is exceptionally agile.
- On-board tools include a Crevice Tool for tight spaces, a Dust Brush for delicate cleaning, and an Upholstery Tool for furniture and curtains.
- The Direct Connect system with no exterior wires makes it easy to change the electrical brushes.
- 7-Year Warranty on the motor and 1-Year Warranty on parts and labor.
Miele Callisto S5280 Canister Vacuum Cleaner - A Closer Look
|SEB 228 Mid Size Powerbrush
This electrically-driven carpet tool with a 14" wide brush roll with floating head and swivel neck design is ideal for low-pile and medium-pile carpet care. With 5 height adjustments and an automatic shut-off in case of blockage, this powerbrush is recommended for deep cleaning and restoring of crushed carpet nap on low- to medium-pile carpets with moderate densities.
|SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Tool
A mixture of polyamide and natural hair ensures a gentle cushion for this floor brush which makes sure that tile, wood and other smooth surfaces are cleaned thoroughly with extreme care. It has a 90° rotation and is exceptionally agile at cleaning around obstacles such as table legs and in tight places.
A required component for the use of all electric powerbrushes. Versions vary depending on canister style used. Miele hoses all are crush-proof and regardless of the abuse, will always retain their original shape.
The Callisto comes with 3 included tools all useful for cleaning upholstery, shelves, baseboards, and more. Included under the lid of the Callisto are:
|Deluxe Handle Assembly
The new ergonomic handle assembly makes vacuuming a breeze, keeping the strain off your wrist. This handle comes equipped with powerbrush control switch to easily turn the powerbrush off or on from the handle.
The HEPA filter conforms to stringent European filtrations standards (EN 1822). It actually traps 99.99% of all particles as tiny as 0.3 microns. The filter only needs to be replaced after 50 hours of use, or approximately 12 months. And, there is a handy spot right on the filter where you can write the date, eliminating guesswork. The HEPA filter is sealed with a rubber edge, to prevent existing dust particles from escaping the filter.
|Air Clean Dustbags
The new Air Clean dustbag features a 9-ply construction with a spring-loaded, self-sealing collar built into the bag. Each style is color coded to prevent confusion and offer many advantages:
Write Your Own Review
Miele Callisto S5281 Vacuum Cleaners
The Callisto is the most popular of all of Mieles canister vacuums. It offers the conveniences and the basic advancements of the S5 Galaxy series with a few notable improvements. The Callisto represents an excellent blend of outstanding value and price.
What I like about the Miele Callisto Vacuum
What separates the Callisto from the entry level Pisces is quite simply, upgrades. With the Callisto, an electric powered SEB 228 Electro Plus Powerbrush comes standard. This is a significant improvement over the air driven brush. In addition to this, the hose that comes standard with the Callisto is powered. This gives you a wider range of more versatile attachments you can use with this model.
When I ran this model through tests similar to those used on the Pisces, I found for thicker carpet the SEB228 Powerbrush was better at extracting pet hair from thicker carpet. In previous tests, I could notice the strain as the air driven brushed bogged down on more dense carpet. In contrast, the electrically powered brush cleaned our high pile carpet much easier.
The last noticeable upgrade with the Callisto is the handle. In lieu of the standard handle, the Callisto is equipped with a deluxe handle. The design fits better in your hand and puts less strain on your wrist while you vacuum. Again, with Miele, sometimes it is all about the little things. A more comfortably designed handle may not seem like the most important feature, but when you have to vacuum the first and second floors of a fully carpeted house, little conveniences make a big difference.
The Callisto comes standard with Miele's Active HEPA filtration, a definite plus for allergy and asthma sufferers. This vacuum collects dirt, dust and pet hair from the floors without polluting the air in your home. The Generally Activated Charcoal reduces odors and traps some chemicals. The sealed system rounds out the filtration qualities of the Miele Callisto and makes it and ideal choice for those concerned with indoor air pollution.
In addition, the Callisto comes standard with all the features you normally find on a Miele canister, quiet operation, 7 year warranty on the motor, self-winding cord, easy movement, and self-sealing bags.
What I do not like about the Miele Callisto Vacuum
The Callisto is a powered unit, which means it has electric features from the powerbrush to the vacuum itself. To connect the hose to the vacuum is a minor inconvenience. There is a small, gray, plastic tab on the body of the vacuum that must be removed before you can attach the hose. The end of a nail file or very fine-tipped, flat head screwdriver will work. Without removing the cap, you may be left scratching your head as to how the hose could actually attach to the vacuum
Despite a standard HEPA filter, the Callisto does not come with a filter change indicator. A bag change indicator comes standard with all Miele canister vacuums, but a good rule of thumb for the HEPA filter is to replace it once a year.
For those concerned with not only cleaning their floors but also the quality of the air inside their homes, the Callisto offers the best on both counts. For both hard and carpeted surfaces the Callisto will get the job done, and the electric powerbrush and deluxe handle are just two additional features that help make this unit one of Miele's most popular choices.
Miele Callisto S5280 Canister Vacuum Cleaner Specifications
|Best for:||Any floor type|
|Vacuum type:||Mid-size canister|
|Construction :||Durable ABS plastic|
|Motor:||1200 Watt Miele Vortex Motor|
|Operating Radius:||30 ft.|
|Suction Control:||Rotary dial on canister|
|Handle:||Ergonomic deluxe handle assembly with Powerbrush Control|
|Wand:||SET220 telescopic wand|
|Bag capacity:||4.76 quart Air Clean dust bags|
|HEPA Filter:||Yes, Active HEPA Filter plus Generally Activated Charcoal Filter|
|Included Floor Tools:||Powerbrush for carpets & Parquet Floor Brush for smooth floors|
|Dust Bag Change Indicator Light:
|Filter Change Indicator Light:||No|
|Auto Cord Rewind:||Yes|
|Wand Park Feature:||Yes|
|Dimensions:||19" L x 10" W x 8"H|
|Warranty:||7 years on the motor - 1 year on parts and labor|